Thursday, December 8, 2011

Spotted: Lorna Simpson

Reading Elle magazine on my lunch break I came across a picture of a woman wearing a colorful outfit with full gorgeous curly hair! It really caught my attention, and made me want to find out who she was. Off to Google I went!!

Elle Magazine December 2011 Issue
Her Bio: H E R E!!
Lorna Simpson is a photographer; an artist. Her work can be found in many studios and museums. Lorna is well known for her photos that include bold, but minimal words. Think Nike women ad that says, "I have thunder thighs". The purpose is to challenge your initial assumption from culture, gender, or even history in the photo. It'll definitely make you think twice before jumping to a conclusion.

Lorna Simpson's work has been displayed at:
  • MoMA (Museum of Modern Art, NY)
  • Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin
  • Miami Museum of Art
  • Exhibit's in Paris, France
  • and Other International Locations!
One of her latest projects was taking old flea market photos of African Americans from the 1950's and then recreating them with her own spin. Earlier this year Lorna's exhibit, Gathered, was found in the Brooklyn Museum in New York.

Photo Source: H E R E!!
I really like Lorna's art style and creativity. If one of her exhibits ever comes close I'll be making an appearance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments and feedback, but if you post anonymously I can't respond to ya! Don't forget to check back for my response ^_~"