Thursday, October 6, 2011

Naturally Meet: Shenicka

Let me start by saying Shenicka is one of the most inspirational people I've ever met! We've been friends for a few years now, but met when she was hired as a work-study student at a former job of mine. We started out working indirectly every once in a while, and ended up being like sisters. If there's ever a time when you need a good word, an ear to talk to, a hug, advice, or a laugh Shenicka is the one! For as long as I've known her, Shenicka hasn't been one to let others opinions decide what's "best for her," or one to give into peer pressure. A great example of this is her over coming obstacles. Speed bumps in the road did not stop her graduating from The Ohio State University with a Bachelors of Social Work, or even continuing on to recently graduated from Case Western Reserve University with her Masters of Science in Social Administration!!! Now that I've told you her life story here's your turn to Naturally Meet Shenicka:




What's your name? Shenicka J.

How old are you? 25

Where are you from? Toledo, OH

How long have you been natural?
I have been natural for almost 26 months (2 years and 2 months). I tried a prior time for 10 months then reverted back to a perm that did not take, so after that experience I decided to try it again, and this time stick to it.

What made or keeps you chemical free? I grew tired of spending my money on chemicals that really didn't work much different from what my natural hair could already do. I realized after a while that my hair was gonna do what it was allowed to do, either way, with or without chemicals, ending at the same result. What keeps me natural is the same mine, but I always remember how stunted my growth was when I used chemicals and how much liberty I feel now as I dare to do things with my hair I either wouldn't do before or couldn't do because of limitation of the chemicals.

What's your favorite style to wear? I love defined curls, so I love washing my hair and putting leave-in conditioner in my hair that helps keep my curls defined, moisturized, and shiny. I also like updo's (photos below).

Do you have any must have products? I am still in search of "the right product" that will work with my grade of natural hair. However, I do enjoy using Garnier Fructis products, and Olive Oil Organic products.

Where do you currently get hair tips and ideas from? Currently, all my friends with the exception of 2-3 are natural, so I usually get tips by word of mouth, via strangers and friends. It's amazing how much someone is willing to share about their process if you would just ask. I do it all the time, because I am always inquiring to learn new things about embracing "my natural".

Are there any words of encouragement, or thoughts you'd like to share? I would like to encourage those ladies who have considered, or are considering joining us naturals to "Just Do It". Don't preoccupy the thoughts of "I want to do it, but I just can't do it...I don't think I can". I use to be that same person who didn't believe they could do it, but I did it and am doing it everyday. I do want to enlighten you that you will go through stages of growth, but once you have reached that peak, you will never look back. It liberates you; it embraces your inner beauty, and defines your profound characteristics. It also gives you a new confidence, because as a woman we all know our hair is very important to us. Once you've mastered embracing your "natural" you will be able to storm any weather. The best thing about being natural is the uniqueness of everyone. No two people are the same, but we all share one thing and that is Liberty. India Arie says it best, "I Am Not My Hair", and neither are you...Be Blessed!

And there it is folks  ^_^"  Here are some photos that Shenicka provided.



You're still able to straighten, curl, pin, etc. your hair being chemical free!!




Any questions or comments?? I'd love to hear what you think...leave em below  ^_~"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments and feedback, but if you post anonymously I can't respond to ya! Don't forget to check back for my response ^_~"